Winter is just around the corner, and with it comes the season of cozy sweaters, hot cocoa, and unfortunately, the sniffles.
The colder months often bring an increase in colds and flu–bolstering your immune system during this season needs to be one of your top priorities. Luckily, there are several simple yet effective things you can do to boost your immunity during the colder months. Read on below:
Load Up on Immune-Boosting Foods
What you eat has a significant impact on the strength of your immune system. Incorporating immune-boosting foods and supplements into your diet can make a huge difference in your body’s ability to fight common illnesses that are usually associated with the colder months.
What to eat:
– Vitamin C-rich citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, and grapefruits are known for their immune-boosting properties.
– Leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and collard greens provide essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K and vitamin A. Vitamin K is known for its ability to fend off both viral and bacterial infections; Vitamin A, on the other hand, strengthens epithelial tissues and mucous membranes–your body’s first line of defense against pathogens.
– Garlic and ginger possess antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that can also help your body fight infections.
– An immunity-focused medicinal mushroom blend powder supplement, such as Raw Revelations’ Immunity Matrix, may also be a good thing to add to your diet. It contains a unique combination of beneficial tonic herbs, mushrooms, and superfoods, including 8 high potency mushrooms, antioxidant-rich acerola cherry and camu camu berry, as well as full spectrum amla berry, full spectrum holy basil, and more. In addition to supporting your immune system, Immunity Matrix medicinal mushroom blend can also help support your respiratory function and boost your energy levels.
Prioritize Quality Sleep
Getting a good night’s sleep is one of the best–not to mention easiest–things that you can do to support your immune system. Quality sleep helps your body repair and rejuvenate itself.
How to improve your sleep quality:
– Having a consistent sleep schedule is a must: consider sleeping and waking up at the same time every day, even on weekends.
– Create a comfortable sleeping environment: make the sleeping area as dark and as quiet as possible, and make sure that the room is cool.
– Avoid eating heavy meals or consuming any caffeinated beverages before bed.
Making sure that you’re adequately hydrated is critical to your overall health, and keeps your immune system functioning well. During the colder months of autumn and winter, the air can be drying both internally and externally.
How to stay hydrated:
– Drink plenty of water throughout your day–yes, even when you don’t feel especially thirsty! According to experts, men should aim to drink at least 3.7 liters of water per day, while women should drink about 2.7 liters.
– Invest in a humidifier, which can add moisture to dry indoor air.
– Limit your consumption of caffeine and alcohol, as these can contribute to dehydration.
Boosting your immunity during the colder months is all about making simple yet effective lifestyle choices. Incorporating these strategies into your daily routine will help you stay healthy and keep those fall and winter bugs at bay.